Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Director of Student Activities is responsible for the strategic leadership and day-to-day operations of the Office of Student Activities and providing a vibrant co-curricular experience for Aurora University students. This leadership position provides direct oversight of student organizations, campus programming (educational, entertainment, and leadership development), commuter affairs, the Aurora University Programming Board (APB), the Aurora University Student Association (AUSA) and Greek Life. The incumbent will be responsible for leadership development of the Coordinator of Student Activities, as well as the departmental student work staff.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Direct supervision of the Office of Student Activities including but not limited to: A) Staff and student worker supervision for 13 office student workers; B) Maintain fiscal responsibility with all budgetary items by distributing the appropriate allocations to support the overall student experience; C) Oversee the hiring and training of 26-30 student Peer Advisors who provide support for freshmen students at Welcome Weekend and throughout the academic year; D) Create a vibrant atmosphere for students by developing daily programs that assist in the overall co-curricular student experience.
- Coordinate all aspects of Greek Life including, but not limited to: A) Develop, maintain and facilitate all policies and procedures outlined in the Greek Life organization handbook. B) Serve as the advisor to Greek Council by attending bi-weekly meetings. C) Work collaboratively with the Dean of Student Life on all requests for organization expansion. D) Maintain a system of referral for all budgetary items related to Greek Life. E) Approve, train and communicate with faculty and staff who serve as advisors for Greek Life organizations.
- Oversee the development of Student Organization Management. Responsibilities will be in collaboration with the Coordinator of Student Activities and will include but are not limited to: A) Develop and maintain the Student Organization handbook; B) Review all student organization events and meetings; C) Supervise the process of in person trainings for all supervisors and faculty/staff advisors; D) Assist in event management support when necessary; E) Serve as the liaison between Aurora University risk management and student organizations to ensure all risk has been assessed and necessary steps taken. F) Communicate with Sodexo to ensure all student organization events requesting food are organized.
- Provide supervision of the Aurora University Student Association (AUSA) and coordinate the attendance of the advisor at weekly student senate meetings, weekly executive board meetings. Assist in conducting one-on-one meetings with executive board members and maintain oversight of committees and events related to AUSA.
- Organize the Aurora University Orgs Council by coordinating the attendance at meetings and events.
- Provide supervision for the primary advisor for the Appropriations Committee by meeting weekly with student representatives to ensure funds are allocated appropriately to student organizations.
- Coordinate and schedule the chaperoning of night and weekend events organized by the Office of Student Activities and Activities Programming Board.
- Create and distribute the semester Student Activities calendar.
- Represent the Office of Student Activities by attending Open Houses, NACA conferences and other events as necessary.
- Attend all orientations for freshman and transfer students, Assist with Peer Advisors during large events (AU4U and Welcome Weekend). With the Dean of Student Life, co-chair a committee for Welcome Weekend to help coordinate all aspects of the event from planning to implementation.
- Develop the planning and implementation of Homecoming, Spring Fling, Recognition Reception and Involvement Fairs and other large scale events hosted on campus.
- Serve on Student Life related committees as appointed by the Senior Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Student Life.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Masters Degree is required.
- Required: Minimum of 3 years of successful and progressive experience working in an office of Student Activities or related department in a higher educational setting.
- Preferred: 5+ years of professionally related work at a college or university with 2 years in the capacity of assistant director or higher.
- Required: Strong oral and written communication skills; Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Preferred: Working with a diverse student population at a private college or university; experience with commuter student programming.
- Must attend evening and weekend events.
- Must be able to move around campus and other locations.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.